Step 1: Install Visual Studio Code
Step 2: Install VSCode Plugins
Step 3: Prepare Maya
From the Installation Guide from SendToMaya:
To enable ports at startup create a file named
userSetup.mel in the following folder:
- Windows: \Documents and Settings\My Documents\maya\scripts
- Mac OS X: ~/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya//scripts.
- Linux: ~/maya//scripts. (where ~ is your home folder)
userSetup.mel file add the following
commandPort -n "localhost:7001" -stp "mel" -echoOutput;
Step 4: Test Setup
- Open Maya and VSCode
- In VSCode create a file
- Write following lines:
import pymel.core as pm pm.sphere()
- Right click anywhere “Debug in Maya” or
- Check in Maya if a Sphere was created.
About Neal Burger
Neal Burger is a successful entrepreuner. He is the founder of Acme Inc, a bootstrapped business that builds affordable SaaS tools for local news, indie publishers, and other small businesses.